Project Management and Characteristics of a Good Project Manager
Important Qualities for a Successful Project Manager
- A strategic business associate - Project managers with higher-level strategic leadership qualities, rather than only technical management skills, give considerable benefits to firms of all sizes.
- Stakeholder-centered - They always provide their utmost effort, regardless of personal prejudice or requirements. This is the level of attention on which organizations have come to rely in the project management profession — and what distinguishes great applicants.
- Generous in giving credit to others - Highly effective project managers distribute credit for good work and encourage all team members to join and contribute to the fullest extent possible. Rather than trying to be a jack of all crafts, make use of the team's collective expertise and talents.
- An effective motivator - The capacity of a project manager to communicate and influence a wide range of stakeholders is critical to project success.
- Completely invested in success - Highly effective project managers believe in their job and are invested in seeing a project through from start to finish. This approach aids in achieving the finest results possible throughout the project.
- Accountable and Trustworthy - Not everything on a project will go according to plan. Accountability for your decisions and actions is critical, and it sends a powerful message to the rest of the team.
- A well-known leader - Although you cannot satisfy everyone, having a well-established reputation as a respected leader usually indicates that you have earned it through hard effort.
How do these Characteristics Aid in Meeting Project Goals?
Let us look at the limits that a project manager should be aware of. The limitations are as follows
- Scope: It describes the customer's demands as well as the declared and implicit requirements.
- Time: Customers want their projects to be completed by a specific date.
- Quality: is defined as the expected quality of delivery for a project.
- Resources: This refers to the quantity of money, budget, or resources available for the project.
These are not the sole limitations of a project. The following are a few of the major reasons for the project's failure:
- The involvement of users is lacking.
- Time scales are either too long or too short.
- Inadequate or no requirements.
- Creep in scope.
- There is no change management system.
- Inadequate testing.
Communication, leadership, and problem-solving abilities are essential for being an effective project manager. Furthermore, he or she should be a good decision-maker to ensure that the project journey runs well. Apart from these qualities, a successful project manager should have the following characteristics:
- Task delegation ability
- Maintain your composure under duress.
- Teamwork abilities
- Problem-solving abilities.
Demand Across the Globe for Project Managers
- Project managers are in high demand. According to the Project Management Institute (PMI®), there will be 22 million additional project management job positions by 2027.
- Project managers are needed in many different sectors. Although project-oriented work is relatively widespread in the IT area, it is also common in the business service, oil and gas, banking and insurance, manufacturing, construction, and utility industries all over the world.
- Project managers get good salaries. The national average entry-level project manager income, according to Glassdoor, is $59,680.
- Studying assists aspiring project managers in developing the numerous abilities required to do the number of duties required to complete an assignment.
- Project managers may make a significant difference. They have a direct influence on not just morale but also the financial line of the organization.
Certain features and characteristics should be had by a project manager while deploying various project management solutions to keep all areas of their projects organised. These traits enable a project manager to consider each project as a separate entity. Furthermore, with the increasing need for project managers throughout the world, the traits listed above will undoubtedly assist you in gaining a foothold in the fast-paced market landscape. Best wishes on your project management adventure!