PRINCE2® Certification - A Benchmark For Excellence In Project Management
PRINCE2® is a structured methodology for project management. It is a globally recognized collection of best practices and guidelines. The UK government was the first to use this approach for projects. Today it is one of the most in-demand methods in the world.
The PRINCE2® methodology consists of seven stages. They are as follows:
1. Starting a project: The need to begin a new process is assessed at this stage. Evaluation for the process and checking the validity of new requests are taken up at this stage.
2. Directing a project: Organizations appoint one or more people to oversee the work. These people are authorized to initiate a project and take ad-hoc decisions. They are known as the Project Board and are responsible for directing a project.
3. Initiating a project: The project scope document is set up at this stage by the manager/board. The work areas, resources, quality parameters are set up for doing the work. The project initiation document (PID) is introduced here.
4. Planning a project: Setting up work stages for a project is performed at this stage. The service delivery cycle involves providing continous support to customers. Time bound processes are delivered at this level.
5. Controlling a project: Work gets divided into smaller tasks called work processes. These processes involve change control methods and quality parameters.
What this means is that after a point, the process can stop temporarily for changes to take place. It is then checked for any shortcomings. If they exist then changes are made to the process and the process is restarted.
6. Monitoring a project: There is a need to monitor the project through regular feedback. The progress of a process along with the issues are examined at this stage. Prior approval from the manager/board is mandatory.
7. Closing a project: When a project is complete, there is a need to document all the work. The review of the process with the changes go into the records for future reference. The project is closed after all the reporting work gets completed.
Levels of PRINCE2® Certifications:
There are three levels of certification for this field. They are as follows:
This course puts into practice the methods of PRINCE2®. Learners apply the methods to real life situations. This helps them to identify the areas for work and make informed decisions.
PRINCE2® Practitioner Re-Registration:
This course is for people who already have a Practitioner certificate. They must re-register for the test to keep the certification. The validity of a certificate is for a five year period. This is to ensure the knowledge of the PRINCE2® principles is up to date.
This course is for professionals who already have a PRINCE2® Practitioner certificate. This is for those with a proven track record of excellence in applying the principles of PRINCE2®.
PRINCE2® professionals have the ability to handle real life problems at work. They help to improve the productivity of existing processes and deliver high quality output.
Benefits of PRINCE2® Certification:
Well defined roles and responsibilities for every team member.
Simplified procedures for all processes in a project.
Flexibility in project management approach at the senior levels.
Improved change management and control methods
Effective risk assessment and reduction steps.
Transparency in decision making and change control methods.
Reporting and documenting changes in records for future use.
Delivering high quality service to customers.
3 Reasons to go for a PRINCE2® Certification:
1.PRINCE2® is an internationally recognized certification system. It is a collection of best practices and techniques. It improves your chances of landing a high paying job. It prepares you to take on bigger roles and responsibilities in handling projects.
2.The certification highlights your commitment to process excellence. It shows you are up to date with the global standards set by practitioners of PRINCE2® principles.
3.It is a proof of your competency to handle complex projects and deliver high quality output. It helps to gain peer recognition and further career prospects.
Career Roles after PRINCE2®:
There are various roles one can apply for after clearing the exam for PRINCE2®. Some of them are listed below:
Service Delivery Manager
Project Control Officer
Technical Project Manager
Service Delivery Specialist