Six Sigma is a methodology and culture, Set of tools and aims to identify, analyze and eliminate errors in a process. When a Process is operated to the level of six sigma, it is said to be 99.96% error free process (Generally stated as 3.4 defects per 1 million processes).
Six Sigma teams should contain a mixture of skills, people fulfilling the roles appropriate to their level of training. There are many levels of six sigma named after martial arts naming convention- from White Belt(Least Experienced), Yellow Belt, Green Belt, Black Belt and finally Master Black belt(Most Experienced).
As you prepare for the Six Sigma Green Belt Certification, consider incorporating the following tips:
1. Go through the Material:
- Verify the Six Sigma Green Belt Body of knowledge to identify the key subject areas.
- Create a study group with the same interests, age, group and prepare a week-week schedule. Make sure that you cover a chapter per week and close it before at least 3 weeks before the exam.
- Be Diligent and stick to your review schedule.
- Learn to use and apply each tool or concept in every chapter. It helps in hypothetical situation, When and where you can apply each tool.
- After each chapter summarize the key points and topics. Combine the whole list from all chapters and make it a master summary which helps you to review before the exam.
2. Create a Exam Survival Toolkit:
- Break out the each phase of DMAIC Methodology.
- Create a reference guide for yourself containing terms and tools, Brief descriptions and Page numbers of terms and tools in text book for immediate reference.
- Create a outline of the text book including all the sections and sub-sections for each chapter. This will allow you to identify in what stage of DMAIC process and which chapter you need to refer for more information.
- Know how your materials are organized and how to use your materials efficiently.
3. Prepare for the Exam:
- Work Through the problems with a group study. For every question Identify and understand both correct and incorrect answers.
- Practice all the problems with the calculator which you tend to use on the exam day.
- Identify your strategy before the exam. Some of the strategies include:
1. Go through all the questions when you receive the test and circle the answers to questions which you feel confident about. Mark the answers which you feel less confident. Once you done the whole review go in-depth for the marked questions.
2. Take a first pass answering all “definition” type questions and then match questions.
3. Group all the questions according to the phases of DMAIC by writing phase number next to the question.
Author : Lisa Findlay